November 19, 2014 Michael Bickerton
Running a contest sounds easy, but implementing a successful contest is something else. When you want to run a contest, it’s like running a race… You have to be prepared.
Contests firstly should engage existing and prospective clients. Contest should provide a favourable impression, as such, ensure you provide a valuable prize, it’s even better when it is product or brand relevant. Given that anyone can run a program, what is the secret to running a successful marketing contest?
Keep in mind that even the best planned, most prized marketing contest doesn’t guarantee success. Sometimes the creative doesn’t resonate, it’s the wrong time, consumers are engaging in other opportunities and even real life events and news can impact the overall success.
All that being said, the most effective contests are implemented by digital boutique advertising firms that specialize in contest market and finding a contest marketing agency is likely your best first step.
Here are some other considerations.
1) What are your marketing goals? What exactly would allow you to consider the contest a success?
2) What is your budget? Does your budget fit with your marketing goal?
3) Who is your target? What does your customer look like?
4) What are you going to do subsequent to your contest? What can the contestant expect next?
5) What are you goals? Engagement? Email addresses? Social followers? What social network?
6) What drivers are you going to use? Email, social posts, social ads? Google ads? Display ads?
7) What style of contest will provide you with the best value as based on your goals?
As you can see, running a contest sounds easy, yet there are many considerations. There are many possible outcomes, hence the reason your first decision should be to utilize the services of a contest marketing agency as they can save you both time and money.
An agency can also assist you in developing a multi-layered approach, thereby capturing the greatest number of email options, social followers or assisting with your other marketing goals.
So, you want to run a contest, start with the end in mind, doing so will ensure you have a successful result. A successful result ensures that your firm gets what it wants and needs, as does your prospect and client.
Need some contest ideas? Check out Contest Marketing Ideas
Want more? Check out 7 Facebook Contest Ideas for Small Businesses
Michael Bickerton Raven5 Ltd. November 2014