June 26, 2010 Michael Bickerton
Pay-per-Click (pay per click advertising or PPC) is a level playing field for all advertisers, an ideal way to drive leads quickly. PPC is also an outstanding real-time source of marketing intelligence, to determine how well your message resonates with those search for your products. And, it is very useful is directing the efforts of your organic SEO program.
To set up any pay per click advertising campaign:
• determine your objectives for the campaign – are you looking to drive awareness
• establish the daily/monthly budget – how much are you prepared to bid for
individual keywords, and spend on the campaign?
• choose the keywords pertaining to your product or service – how do your
customers think about and search for what you are promoting?
• prepare your ad with a compelling headline and short offer – why should
someone click on your ad?
• direct clicks to a relevant landing page – does the page deliver on the promise in
A successful campaign requires ongoing testing, tracking and tuning to optimize:
• keywords – which keywords are driving visits and leads?
• keyword bids – are you bidding enough to get optimum visibility for your ads?
• click-through-rates (CTR) – are the ads relevant to the keywords, and
• conversion rates – is the landing page offer sufficient?
Running a good PPC campaign takes time, requires tracking, testing, however, the benefits are significant and assist in building your website organic rankings as well.
Michael Bickerton, Raven5 Ltd, June 2010