May 10, 2010 Michael Bickerton
According to Mitch Joel, president of Twist Image and author of Six Pixels of Separation, Participation and Leadership go hand and hand, and in order to build a strong community, a strong online community you must take a leadership role.
Mitch’s list of things you can do to assist in building a strong community.
* Add your comments and insights to any blog
* Favourite a Technorati blog – www.technorati.com
* Mentioning someone, use their full name and credentials
* Connect on LinkedIn – www.linkedin.com
* Write up recommendations for someone you know
* Add business associates on Facebook
* Review a review for podcasts in iTunes
* Subscribe to blogs with clients or friends
* Speak at industry associations
* Share, share what you doing
In many ways this is about leadership, get out there and do something, everyone in this new space is talking about the same things, sharing, building a community, building trust, and getting started. In his book, I guess Mitch says it best, “This is all about sharing, connecting, and conversations.”
Leadership does equal participation, so, make a commitment to yourself, its time to get started, its time to get involved, get engaged and get moving, otherwise, you and your organization will be left behind.
I guess in simpler terms, its lead, follow or get out of the way.
Michael Bickerton, Raven5, May 2010