Blogs > Gaming – Essential Facts
February 19, 2014 Michael Bickerton
Gaming has become something that has found a place among many in the digital age. The gaming industry was expected to reach $40 billion in revenue in 2012. I thought it would be interesting to provide some basic information about gaming to give you a sense of the saturation and some stats that will give you some perspective on this segment of digital.
Naturally, there are and will continue to be marketing and advertising opportunities in this area, which is still very much in its infancy. So, here we go:
1) 40% of gamers are female
2) Average gamer is a 43 year old (FEMALE)
3) 25% of gamers are over 50 years old
4) 41% of gamers have full time work
5) 42% of gamers are doing so on mobile
6) 39% of females said it’s a TURN ON if males list video games as an interest
7) $7.3 billion was purchased on VIRTUAL goods
There is also some comment from Venture Beat, Ethan Gach who is questioning the overall report.
The one thing you can be sure of is that gaming is and will continue to be an important segment of the digital sphere, for your customers or at least for many of you, so keep your eye on the prize. Gaming may be part of your next marketing program.
Michael Bickerton, Raven5 Ltd, Oakville, Ontario February 2014