June 16, 2010 Michael Bickerton
There are a number of emerging trends developing as we push forward in the social marketing sphere, here are a few that have been noted. By anyone’s standards, they are guesses, what’s next will truly be very interesting as communities proceed from these new horizons.
1) Personal Brands, we are now going to see individuals develop audience and community
2) Micro Social Networks, we are going to see networks that focus quality of the community and conversation
3) Content as media, communities are building their own media channels
4) Consumer-Generated Brands, communities will begin to display their unique brands
5) Virtual worlds, young communities see no difference between real and virtual experiences
6) Openness, business and government are going to see a demand for openness and accountability.
7) Privacy, communities are going to put a premium on trust and privacy going forward.
We are just beginning to see some of the issues develop as technology pushes forward. Currently, we are seeing the government call for real action as it relates to the largess of Google and now Facebook. Each step we take going forward has to be about individuals and businesses adding value to their respective communities; adding value to all partners in the process (meaning the consumer, the employee and the company). The largest of issues as we explore these new horizons are about how we connect, collaborate and share in the years ahead. It will be an interesting view.
Michael Bickerton, Raven5 Ltd, June 2010