February 8, 2018 Jaclyn Bickerton
Lead nurturing is the purposeful process of engaging a defined target group by providing relevant information at each stage of the buyer’s journey. You want to actively move the prospects you’ve created through your marketing and lead generation efforts, to the point where they become paying customers. Some tactics on how to nurture leads are through targeted content, multi-channel nurturing, multiple touches, timely follow-ups, and personalization.
Inbound marketing is a must for marketers looking to generate more leads, but only a small percentage of inbound leads will be ready to make an immediate purchase. This leaves upwards of 90% of your inbound leads on the table.
Implementing an effective lead nurturing strategy can have a huge impact on the results of your inbound marketing strategy. Research conducted by Forrester has shown that marketers see an average 20% increase in sales opportunities from nurtured vs non-nurtured leads. Furthermore, the research also reveals that companies that excel at lead nurturing generate 50% more sales at a 33% lower cost.
However, despite the clear benefits of lead nurturing, a study by MarketingSherpa indicates that only 36% of marketers actively nurture their sales leads. Without question, this means that there’s a huge opportunity for savvy marketers to implement effective lead nurturing strategies and gain an advantage over the competition.
Here are the 7 most effective lead nurturing tactics:
1) Targeted content – Leads nurtured with targeted content produce an increase in sales opportunities of more than 20%.
2) Multi-channel lead nurturing – Four out of five marketers say their email open rates don’t exceed 20%. It’s time to think beyond the inbox.
3) Multiple Touches – Prospects receive an average of 10 touches from the time they enter the top of the funnel until they’re a closed customer.
4) Timely Follow Ups – The odds of a lead entering the sales process, or becoming qualified, are 21 times greater when contacted within five minutes versus 30 minutes after an inbound lead converts on your website.
5) Personalized emails – Personalized emails generate up to 6 times higher revenue per email than non-personalized emails do.
6) Lead Scoring – 68% of successful marketers cite lead scoring based on content and engagement as the most effective tactic for improving revenue contribution from lead nurturing.
7) Sales and Marketing Alignment – 89% of companies that align their sales and marketing lead nurturing efforts report measurable increases in the number of sales opportunities generated.