Blogs > Every Marketer should know these Trends
April 15, 2014 Patricia Ferreria
We all know that social media is growing at a rapid pace, but as an entrepreneur, you have to know that your social media strategy should not remain the same when so much change is happening. Take the time to reevaluate your business goals, social media campaigns, and platform results and revise your strategy at least once a year, based on social media trends.
Being aware of trends in the social world can help you design a better strategy, and apply the most effective tactics choose where you want to invest your staff as well as financial resources. Therefore, these social media trends are what every entrepreneur needs to think about for 2014:
1. Diversify: Facebook is changing their algorithms, so if you currently operate a brand or business page you need to start diversifying your posts. One recent study shows that only 6 percent of followers actually see your posts.
2. Google+ is for real: Expert entrepreneurs are saying that one of the social networks we should be paying attention to is Google+. It currently plays a detrimental role in Google’s organic algorithm and it is expected that this trend will continue to grow over the next couple of years. Matt Cutts from Google has confirmed in a recent video that neither Facebook nor Twitter have an actual impact on SEO rankings. Google wants to use its social signals for organic search rankings. This could easily mine Google+ data, where its crawler access is unhindered.
By the end of the year, Google+ will also be the best way to access Google authorship, which will play a huge role in SEO at the end of the year. Google Authorship helps the search engine identify your content. It gives credit to the correct author and builds a portfolio for them and will also create an “Author Rank” which is an algorithmic score based on author expertise and publishing history.
3. Integration of social media, SEO, and content creation. Social media and content are now working together to impact how content is seen or shared. Before, people were scared to share their content with others, but now people are more open to sharing, especially over social media. Content creation and marketing both have an impact on SEO performance, especially on Google’s latest algorithm updates. It’s important to think of SEO, content and social media when expanding you online presence. These three tools work as one to increase visibility, build brand awareness and garner customers and sales.
4. Visual content will win. An estimated 63 percent of social media is comprised of solely visual content. More and more visual platforms are becoming a more vital role in social media for businesses. A study found that 29 percent of Pinterest users bought an item after posting or re-pinning it on the network.
Up and coming popular video content apps such as Vine and Instagram are becoming super popular. People want something they can see happening because this attracts more attention rather than a simple picture where everything needs to be captured in one moment.
Every business should experiment with visual and video content; it can help revitalize your social media marketing strategy.
5. Social media as a brand builder. Manage your company using a brand-oriented approach. Building your brand on any medium impacts your SEO and improves sales over the long term.
One thing you need to keep in mind is that you should keep all visuals and content consistent with the overall brand you’re building. Make sure your account is copy branded and make sure all content that you post is relevant with your messaging.
With all these current social media trends being made available for us it would be greatly beneficial for an entrepreneur like you to hop on board with an agency like Raven5 who will help in building an email list and reaching your audience. Building an email list will help drive people to your website and expand you following on social media. Expanding your reach to audiences who care about your product or service. Why not?
Patricia Ferreira, Raven5 Ltd, Oakville, Ontario April 2014