July 24, 2010 Michael Bickerton
Seems everyone is running email campaigns these days, and if not, why aren’t you? Email is a fantastic marketing opportunity for you and your business, so what’s your issue with email?
Email allows you to message with your clientele on their time, in their space and allows you the opportunity to begin a dialogue with your customers. The first step naturally is building an opt-in list; your digital agency should be able to assist you here.
1) Permission, you have it or get it, simple really
2) Clean your list, purge duplicates, saves money too Madge
3) Segment your list, especially if you have a varied client base
4) Continue to build your opt-in list via your website and email
5) Respect Privacy and opt-outs, basic really
6) Provide good offers and incentives, as with everything
7) Design with the mailbox in mind, all about presentation
8) Frequency, this is a trust exercise so take your time
9) Test, test and test, there’s lots here to talk about
10) Personalize your emails, nothing sweeter than a person’s name
11) Add Social Media links, expands your opportunity
12) Integrate into your marketing program
13) Consistent, be consistent, always the case
14) Include in your web analytics, allows you to measure
15) Allocate budget for your service provider, always
16) Follow up, goes without saying
Email marketing is continuing to grow, and is expanding next into mobile, so you need to consider this fact going forward.
So, why aren’t you running email programs? It’s simple, inexpensive and is measurable. There is no excuse; you can get started today!
Michael Bickerton, Raven5 Ltd, July 2010