January 10, 2014 Michael Bickerton
Contest marketing is a fantastic way for marketers to engage and develop their databases. Contest marketing can assist in developing email addresses, Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers, LinkedIn Contacts and Google+ Followers.
With contest marketing, we use email as a primary driver, yet you can also use a social following, both search and display ads as well as print to drive traffic to a microsite. Our platform works both inside and outside Facebook, which means it uses a microsite that uses Facebook frame technology to embed the contest within Facebook.
Here are some interesting considerations when using Contest Marketing:
1) 78% use Facebook on a mobile device
2) 77% of marketers use contest marketing for brand awareness
3) 42% of marketers use discounts and/or offers to engage followings
4) Contest marketing uses incentives to develop followings
5) Contest marketing develops email and social followings
Contest marketing platforms can be utilized in a variety of ways, but most use holidays to assist in brand building.
Here is a list of Contest ideas:
1) January – White Sales – used by 42% of marketers
2) February – Valentines Day – photo contest
3) March – Spring – keep in mind 78% use via mobile
4) April – Easter – try a quiz – 70% of marketers use like gates
5) May – Mother’s day – sweepstakes – 2nd largest gifting day
6) June – Father’s day – story, blog – $82 average per person spend
7) July – Canada Day & Independence Day
8) August – Summer Holidays – 77% of marketers use for branding
9) September – Back to School – time of refresh
10) October – Canadian Thanksgiving – lots of colours
11) October – Halloween – great for photo sharing
12) November – United States Thanksgiving
13) November – Remembrance day – provoke thought
14) December – Christmas & Holidays – Coupon opportunities
As a marketer, I’m sure many of you are using these opportunities and techniques. Contest marketing allows you to leverage these and others. Developing your following both inside and outside of Facebook should be used for all marketing programs today. Don’t miss out on the opportunities available through contest marketing. Everybody loves winning.
Michael Bickerton, Raven5 Ltd, Oakville, Ontario, January 2014